It’s bound to happen in our awesome, Catholic, no-birth-control-using circles, right? You have a friend that’s having a baby, and it’s number 2, 3, 4, or 12. You love her and want to get something to celebrate this new life, and that’s great! Trust me, there are plenty of things you need or want for your second baby that you don’t already have. (Keep in mind, this list is coming from someone who had 4 kids in 6 years… I do have some experience in this area.) 😉
- Matching sibling outfits. I recently did this for a friend. Get coordinating outfits for all of the children in the correct sizes so the kids can all match. I absolutely love coordinating my girl’s outfits, and matching sets have to come new from a store- there’s no finding matching stuff like this at a yard sale. Even boys and girls can coordinate without matching.
- Baby clothes. This sounds obvious, but it’s a great option. If the mother is having her first boy or first girl, this is a no-brainer. But even if she already has 4 little girls, chances are, the baby clothes she has saved have seen better days and it will be refreshing to have a crisp outfit for the new bundle of joy.
- Gifts for the older kid(s). For instance, new baby is probably moving into the infant car seat, but does big sibling have a booster chair? A potty chair? A big boy tricycle? A big girl bed? Clothes in toddler sizes? Chances are, the older child(ren) have some things they will need now that their old stuff is getting passed down.
- Consumables. You can never go wrong with consumables such as diapers, wipes, baby shampoo, lotion, diaper cream, baby medicines, etc because chances are, the last baby already consumed them. On second thought… you can totally go wrong. Take it from someone with 4 tiny kids-babies don’t stay in size 1 diapers any time at all. If you want to do the parents a favor, buy size 2. They stay in those for several months.
- Baby monitor. These get worse with age and don’t pick up sound very well after being used for a few years. Ask me how I know.
- Something cutting edge. Hey, Bumbos were invented between my number 1 and number 2, and they weren’t that far apart. You can’t register for what doesn’t yet exist. Seek out a new baby trend that wasn’t around when they had their first babies. There’s always some new brand of baby carrier that is soooo much better than last year’s baby carrier.
- Double Stroller. If they’re going on number 2, and number 1 ain’t that big yet, this is a pretty good bet.
- Portrait Session. This is a great idea- make sure baby number next doesn’t slip between the cracks of their own trip to the portrait studio.
- New Pacifiers and/or Bottles. These can get gross in storage. Also, at my house, the 2 year old is most probably still using her pacifiers. 😉
- Something Personalized with a Name. Have something monogrammed- then it truly belongs to that baby and will become a keepsake.
- A Book With the Baby’s Name. Look up a children’s book that has a character with the new baby’s name in it. Only buy it if the character with that name is portrayed in a good light. lol. Write a personalized message in the front of the book. In my experience, the parents love this!
- A Religious Keepsake for baby. Maybe a crib medal, or something specific to the Saint they’re being named after. You can never go wrong with baby’s first rosary either.
- Be frivolous. Hey, Mom and Dad don’t need anything anyway, right? So may as well splurge on some adorable headbands, shoes, coat, baby bag, or a great wall hanging for the nursery.
When in doubt, approach the parents and ask them what they need. Make a few suggestions so they can get an idea for the price-range you are searching in. It’s better to get them something that is useful and they will love than to get them a “surprise”, so simply asking them could be the best way to figure out the perfect gift. 🙂
- Meaningful Baptism gift idea
- Catholic Baby shower idea
- Make a Catholic baby onesie
- Our Baptism party
- Our Baptism video